This update is from BCFED. Reader may be aware of the epic battle the Machinists have been waging with IKEA in the USA. Read more here.
IKEA in Richmond wants to lower the wages it pays its employees by imposing a tiered wage structure. More than 350 employees have been locked out by IKEA since May 13 of this year.
IKEA Richmond – Currently behind picket lines.
IKEA Coquitlam – No picket lines, but every dollar spent in IKEA Coquitlam is helping IKEA win the fight in Richmond.
HOW CAN I HELP?
Join IKEA workers at the Richmond IKEA location this Saturday at 11:00 am in a show of support for a fair settlement.
HOW ELSE CAN I HELP?
- DO NOT PATRONIZE either IKEA.
Spending money in IKEA Coquitlam is helping IKEA win the fight with its employees in Richmond.
- VISIT the locked out workers on the picket line, and show your support.
- EMAIL IKEA management. Tell them you won’t spend a dime there unless they back down from their demand for wage cuts for IKEA employees.
- Teamsters Local 213 represents about 350 workers at the Richmond IKEA location.
- Until 2007, IKEA Richmond had a
tiered wage structure. The union fought for fairness, and eliminated the tiered wage structure.
- IKEAs are owned centrally. Spending money at any IKEA goes in the same owner’s pocket.