Geo Tech is a fabrication and machine shop specialising in stainless steel and large fabrications. Located across the road from the Crofton pulp mill, 60% of Geo Tech’s work is in the field. The shop fabricates assemblies that are installed throughout British Columbia. The crews also go to Cube each year to work on major industrial projects.
This is a COLA shop. Wage increases automatically follow the Consumer Price Index. After twenty years of near parity with our other shops in the area, due to low inflation over the last couple of years, wages have lagged a little behind. The employer agreed to a wage adjustment of 2% at the beginning of the Collective Agreement to partially close the gap. The company position was to continue with the uncapped COLA as both sides take an equal risk, the employees during low inflation and the employer during high inflation. In the end, the Members decided not to try to change the compensation system and will continue with the COLA system.
Beside the immediate 2% increase, the new Agreement contained the following improvements:
- Provision for four day ten-hour work week for shop and field employees
- Vision care benefit providing eye glasses and frames replacement for employees and insured family members once every two years to a maximum of $300.00
- Company will pay up to $200.00 every two years toward Prescription Safety Glasses for employees from the OVP Plan
- A maximum of 80 overtime hours can be banked per year
- All unused banked hours will be paid out on the last paycheck of the year
- $20.00 meal allowance paid to employees who work a 12 hour shift or greater
- Travel Pay will now be indexed
- Living Out Allowance increased to $60.00/day plus accommodation or $100.00/day without accommodation
- Family Day added to Statutory holidays
- Field Worker Letter Of Understanding
- Wage Table: Rate of Pay = shop rate + 5.5 per cent
- Holiday and Vacation Pay: 12 per cent on paycheck, up from 8.4%
- Health and Welfare payment raised by $0.47 / hour to $2.16 per hour
- Employer contribution of 10% Retirement savings to be paid on each cheque
The Members have been busy over the last three years and, with this new Agreement, look forward to three more.