Machinist Union members at Alliance Engineering in Central Saanich have ratified a new three year agreement. Due to the low inflation rate, in absolute terms, the increases seems modest but when the Consumer Price Index is factored in, the increases in real terms are acceptable. Cost of Living protection was included in the third year of the Collective Agreement as though we can be fairly confident of low inflation in the first two years our crystal ball becomes foggy as we look further into the future.
All structural steel business in BC face intense completion from non-union companies out of Alberta. Companies, like Hold Fast in Nanaimo, bid jobs at a loss to secure market share. They have deep pockets and often pay their tradesmen $6 less per hour than the going rate. Unionization of these companies is a priority for the Machinists Union on Vancouver Island.
In spite of this competition, Alliance Engineering, valuing the skills of the Members, still agreed to increases and improvements.
Collective Agreement Highlights:
- Three year term
- 1.5% increase in each year with inflation protection to 2.5% in the final year
- Overtime meal allowance increased from $13 to $20
- Field work premium increased to $1 per hour
- Work done for industrial customers in shop now attracts field premium
- Loss of tools provisions updated
- Pension option added
- Family Day added giving 13 stat holidays
- Seniority language clarified